Sunday, June 6, 2010

The marathon desire

I have never been a runner. In fact, I quit playing basketball in high school because I hated the running so much. This has been a relevation to me, enjoying and succeeding at something physical. I was a decent dancer and cheerleader, but awful at team sports and really didn't like or enjoy them. When I started losing weight and exercising watching "The Biggest Loser" was one of my main motivators. The first full season I watched the finalist had to run and finish a marathon. I thougth to myself, if they can do it, surely I can and that thought never went away. Even when I was training for the first half marathon, I was wanting to pick a full marathon and start training. I guess I should explain that my husband wanted to do a full as well, but after the half he decided he just wants to work on getting faster at 5K and 10K times. I lost my training partner :( and some of my motivation.

I always enjoyed watching track and field events and even kept up with the Boston Marathon, but I thought those people were crazy. Once, I started this exercise thing and watching the finalists on the show run 26.2 miles, the desire was there but I knew that I would have to wait to train properly. This past season once again the finalists had to run a full marathon and once again again it reaffirmed to me that the desire isn't going away. I have to do this!

All the experts say to have at least a year of running under your belt, so in April it was a year and now it is June. I am ready, I want to do this, and I will do this. If those guys and girls from "The Biggest Loser" can do it! I know I can!

My goal is to finish the White Rock marathon in under 4:45, ideally I would like to do a 4:30, but I am being realistic and I don't want to injure myself training. My long term goal is to qualify for Boston before I turn 40, so I have almost six year to work on that!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome goals girl!
    I never had a running partner. I'm used to running alone. Which is good and bad. Good because I can run as far and as fast as I want...bad because I can also get tired and want to stop and no one is there to keep me going.
    You'll do great!
    I've decided to do a full marathon, after I finish all of my required "education" and get my "certification". Training for a full marathon will be my reward for all of my hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete